Concerning the availability of backup-data, the variety of different backup programs as well as the various data carriers and formats pose a challenge for every IT expert.
To guarantee a permanent availability of data, the stored data has to be converted.
This way, the gap between the different storage devices and software versions can be closed, and stored data is available in the long term.
For consistent data storage and a high availability of data, regular conversions are indispensable.
When does data have to be converted?
- change of backup software
- company take-overs
- system incompatibility
Supported media formats
|Open reels:||9 track: 800bpi NRZI, 1600 bpi PE, 3200bpi DPE, 6250bpi GCR|
|Tape Cartridges:||18/36 track: 3480/3490 and 3490E|
|IBM Tape Cartridges:||128/256 track: 3590/3590E|
All DLT, SDLT, AIT and DDS cardridge formats are supported.
Other formats are checked on request.
Please click for detailed description of tape media.
Conversion of data includes for example:
1. Reading of the compressed data (e.g. through "Backup exec" or "Tivoli") files.
2. Restoring the existing data and directory structure.
3. Verifying the completness.
4. Creating of task- and recovery-protocol files.
5. Writing of the restored data on user-specific media, while keeping the directories and structures intact.
6. Creation of a PDF list with a directory structure of the respective tapes that were processed.
Optional: 2nd or 3rd copy (extern, emergency)
- recommendable -
Optional: Fragmentary readingbof damaged files/tapes
Data can be converted to the following media:
- Flash Memory Cards
- USB Memory Stick
- Externe Harddisc
- CD or DVD-R Medien, includes Laserprint/Lightscribe printing and Caddy
Data is in accordance with the VS-NfD bulletin.